Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Josh Ritter

Went to the concert last night. Josh was really outstanding. He was in fine form. It's the first solo concert I've seen since Minneapolis. Which, incidentally was the last time I had a chance to chat with him at all. I found out last night that he remembers me, but I think it's mostly as connected to Ann and Ellen. Ann and I went up to chat with him after the concert. It was nice. He's fun and awkward and silly. It's not really an act on stage, he is that gawky. But then he starts to sing and you're amazed by his depth of emotion and skill with words. It's awfully fun to go to his concerts. I've seen more of his concerts than anyone else, and enjoy them more than almost any I've been to. I know all the lyrics. I know (a little) the performer. I know the background of the songs, and some of the references. It's really a lot of fun. Here's to being able to see Josh perform for years and years. Each album I worry that it won't be as good, that I'll be disappointed. I have more invested in his music than say, Modest Mouse. A bad MM album is a series of poor choices by people I never knew, and couldn't recognize in a crowd. Were Josh Ritter to release a crummy album I'd take it personally. Like Oberlin failed. Like someone I sorta kinda vaguely know made a mistake. But so far so good. And it really has been so good so far, his music continues to amaze me.

No comments: